Are you sleeping well on your mattress? No, no, not just the act of sleeping and then groggily getting up at your third alarm… I’m wondering about restful, rejuvenating, tranquil sleep? If you aren’t getting the best sleep you can be, this post is for you! About a year ago, Kevin and I realized that we weren’t sleeping well, either. Our mattress was about 8 years old and was very indented where we slept. I woke up with back and neck pain nearly every day, even after going to physical therapy for months! We knew we needed a new mattress, so I started my research.
OUR NEW MATTRESS REQUIREMENTS
First off, have you noticed the odor in your room after you get a new mattress? I’m sure you do, it’s hard to miss. That smell is the off-gassing of VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) which can be very harmful to your health. Whichever mattress we chose this time around, needed to be non-toxic. The last thing we wanted was an unhealthy sleep environment.
Secondly, we wanted support. We had a pillow-top mattress that (as mentioned before) was completely sinking in. By no means was it an inexpensive mattress, and yet, at around the 5-year mark, we noticed our sleep was progressively getting worse. We didn’t want plush and we didn’t want firm…we wanted the Goldilocks “just right.”
Thirdly, we wanted a bed that slept cool. We didn’t want an organic wool bed that slept hot. It’s proven that sleeping in a cool room, in a cool bed, improves your sleep. And for us, that is definitely true!
Lastly, we wanted a king-sized bed. Our dogs sleep in our bed many nights and our queen-sized bed was just too tight for the four of us lol.
WHAT CHEMICALS DO MATTRESSES HAVE INSIDE?
Surprisingly, (or not), right off the bat most companies didn’t pass the non-toxic test. On the surface, they say they have “safe” materials but after you dig deeper, you can easily see that their safety requirements are lacking.
For instance, many companies use very toxic materials in their mattresses. Here are a few that are a no-go for me:
- Chemical Flame Retardants – The most common Chemical Flame Retardants are Antimony, Boric Acid, and Halogenated Flame Retardants (HFRs). Antimony is a toxic heavy metal that can cause eye, heart, and lung problems. Boric Acid (or Borate Powder) can cause eye and respiratory irritation. Halogenated Flame Retardants may be the worst of these. They are linked to severe problems that can span generations.
- Vinyl – Vinyl production uses toxic chemicals and additives which have been linked to major health issues. Common additives used in making Vinyl include Phthalates and heavy-metals.
- Foam that is not “CertiPUR-US® Certified” – Foam is made from petroleum using a mixture of toxic chemicals. Over time, volatile organic compounds (VOCs) from the foam are released into the air, causing you to be exposed to them. In addition, since the foam is highly flammable, a large number of toxic flame retardants are usually added. Foam is still widely used in mattresses because it is very inexpensive to produce.
- Synthetic Latex – Synthetic Latex is made from two petroleum-based compounds that can pose serious health risks. Look for “100% Natural Latex” instead!
After searching the internet far and wide, I finally ran across Intellibed®. I was intrigued. While the mattress itself wasn’t 100% organic, they checked off all my requirements and didn’t have the negative feedback that nearly all the organic mattresses had: sleeping hot.
You can see from the diagram above that this mattress is made from non-toxic materials that won’t be off-gassing and causing health problems. I’m all for that!
NON-TOXIC INTELLIBED® MATERIALS
The Tranquiliti™ mattress is made of:
- 100% Organic Cotton Cover – an all-organic fabric cover for a safe, ultra-soft layer of comfort.
- 2 1/2″ GEL MATRIX® – this revolutionary, durable high-tech elastic gel is completely non-toxic.
- The Gel Matrix™ layer is not natural or organic, but the copolymer gel it’s made from is non-toxic, hypoallergenic, antimicrobial, and non-off-gassing. It’s also highly durable and pressure relieving.
- 2″ Certipur US Certified Foam – an additional cushioning for ultimate comfort.
- Made without ozone depleters
- Made without PBDEs, TDCPP or TCEP (“Tris”) flame retardants
- Made without mercury, lead, and heavy metals
- Made without formaldehyde
- Made without phthalates regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Low VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) emissions for indoor air quality (less than 0.5 parts per million)
- 8″ Pocket Coil Spring System – which structurally supports your spine and reduces motion transfer between partners.
- Green Fireblocker called “Firegard” – It’s GreenGuard Gold certified, which means it has been tested and verified to be low-VOC. Yay!
HOW SUPPORTIVE IS THE INTELLIBED® TRANQUILITI™ MATTRESS?
Above, you’ll see the pros and cons of typical firm vs. soft mattresses. The great thing about Intellibed® is that it provides the best of both worlds!
Intellibed® used a pressure map and tested hundreds of people laying on Gel Matrix® mattresses such as the Tranquiliti™ mattress and compared it to other beds. As you can see below, Gel Matrix® beds, are the only beds that actually take the pressure off your hips and shoulders! Now that’s what I want in a mattress!
Of course, the cost is always a factor in a large purchase such as a new mattress! Here’s where some good news comes in, unlike most mattresses that are warrantied for 10 years, Intellibed® has a no-nonsense 20-year warranty! That means that your cost per year drops dramatically compared to your typical mattress. The exact mattress that we selected: King Intellibed® Tranquiliti™ breaks out to $275 a year. To me, that is definitely worth it to have a pain-free body and a non-toxic sleeping environment! Don’t you agree? 🙂
THE ULTIMATE LUXURIOUS AND NON-TOXIC MATTRESS
Overall, this Intellibed® Tranquiliti™ mattress is definitely named appropriately! All these features add up to an extremely restful, deep sleep!
This therapeutic mattress is designed to offer optimal back support, proper spinal alignment, and the relief of pressure points so you can sleep better and healthier.
So, did this mattress live up to ALL our requirements? Stay tuned for our 60 day sleep update!
INTELLIBED COUPON CODE
Since I love this bed SO much, I’ve partnered with Intellibed to offer my friends some amazing discounts! Here’s what you get:
- 10% off sitewide with code: AMANDARAY
Tranquiliti Bundle (purchased through my landing page, discounts and free items applied at checkout) which includes:
- 10% off Tranquiliti Mattress
- Free Shipping
- Free Sheets
- Free Mattress Protector
Let me know if you have any more questions about this mattress!
Let’s get social! Connect with me…
Please note: When you purchase from my links, I may receive a small commission that is no charge to you! Thank you for supporting me and my blog!