This post is sponsored by ALDI, all opinions are my own.
When your husband completes his MBA in Finance and International Business in only two years, while still working full time at his current position, you have nothing but pride and joy for all of his accomplishments. The week he submitted his final paper, I decided I’d make him a special meal!
We typically eat very healthy and fairly low-carb, so it’s important to me to shop at a grocery store that supports our diet! With that in mind, I headed over to our newly remodeled ALDI to pick up some great items for our meal. I wanted to create a romantic meal, but with a modern twist. ALDI provides a convenient shopping experience focusing on fresh items, including more variety in their organic produce, dairy and bakery sections. My local remodeled store also features a welcoming modern design with open ceilings, natural lighting, and environmentally-friendly materials. I love the modern look! You should try out your local ALDI the next time you need to go grocery shopping! They truly have a great combination of high-quality groceries at amazing low prices!
I decided on the following menu for our modern, romantic dinner:
- Grilled Beef Strip Steak
- Zucchini & Squash Salad
- Spinach and Pecan Garden Salad
- Charcuterie board with cheese, crackers, and meat
- Red Wine – Broken Clouds Pinot Noir
- Time to prep & cook entire dinner: under 45 minutes
At ALDI, I picked up a variety of items including meat, veggies, fruits, nuts, crackers, and a variety of cheeses! Their store layout is easy to navigate and prices are easy to find. I was in and out of the store quite quickly!
When I arrived home, I started with the grilled beef strip steak and shaved zucchini & squash salad recipes for the main entree plate.
Grilled Beef Strip Steak (Serves 2-4)
- USDA Choice Thin Sliced Sirloin Tip Steak
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Time to complete: About 25 min
- The first step to a great steak is to master the grill. Granted, I would hardly call myself a “master,” but with some practice, it is easy enough to make a great meal. I started off getting the grill as hot as possible, usually around 550F or so; this is to sear the steak and provide those great looking grill marks and browned color on the outside. Besides the appearance, searing helps lock in some of the juices and keeps the meat nice and tender. Put the meat on the grill and cook the top and bottom for 3 minutes each, then sear each side for about 30 seconds. (Total of about 8 minutes on the grill).
- After searing, place the meat onto a dish and into the oven (400F) to finish cooking through indirect heat for about 15 minutes. The indirect heat has the advantage of a very controlled temperature setting, so you won’t have to worry about balancing the burners of the grill to get a consistent temperature.
- When the meat is close to your liking, remove and allow it to sit for a few minutes (remember, the meat will continue to cook, even after it is removed from the heat).
- Cut into strips, season with a little salt and pepper, and your main course is ready!
Shaved Zucchini & Squash Salad (Serves 2-4)
- 1 Zucchini
- 1 Yellow Squash
- 4-5 Thinly Sliced Radishes
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Dill
- 2 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- A Sprinkle of Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Time to complete: About 5-10 minutes
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave the zucchini and yellow squash into strips
- Combine zucchini, squash, radishes, and remaining ingredients in a bowl, toss gently to coat
- Serve immediately & enjoy
While the meat was cooking in the oven, I quickly finished the Spinach and Pecan Garden Salad and the Charcuterie Board.
Spinach and Pecan Garden Salad (Serves 2-4)
- Simply Nature Organic Baby Spinach
- Southern Grove Pecan Halves
- 1 Large Cucumber, sliced
- Priano Parmesan Cheese Wedge (optional)
- Time to complete: 5 minutes
- Simply place the spinach in a bowl, covered with sliced cucumbers and the rest of the ingredients
- Serve plain or with your favorite balsamic salad dressing
Charcuterie Board (Serves 2-6)
- Savoritz 6 Cracker Assortment
- Lunch Mate Hard Salami
- Happy Farms Colby Jack Cheese
- Happy Farms Preferred Brie Cheese Round
- Priano Parmesan Cheese Wedge
- Appleton Farms Prosciutto
- Red Seedless Grapes
- Time to complete: 10 min
This recipe is the easiest, yet! Place crackers, grapes, meat, and cheese on your serving board and you’re ready to enjoy!
Broken Clouds Pinot Noir (Serves 2-6)
To complement the charcuterie board (and the dinner, itself) I opted for Broken Clouds Pinot Noir. I was pleased to find out several ALDI products were voted 2017 Product of the Year winners*, and Broken Clouds Pinot Noir won in the wine category! It’s definitely a great, affordable, wine and paired perfectly with our meal! I highly recommend you give it a try!
*Results based on a survey of 40,000 American shoppers conducted in the 2017 Product of the Year winners by global research agency Kanter TNS
In total, the dinner took me around 45 minutes from start to finish. Not bad for a modern, romantic dinner! The recipes were very quick and simple, and the fresh and the delicious ingredients from ALDI made the dinner that much better.
My husband came home and was very surprised and grateful that dinner was ready on the table! I lit the little tea light candles and we proceeded to eat and drink until our hearts were content!