Believe it or not, hair thinning and/or hair loss is very common in women for multiple reasons. It could be from hormonal imbalance, iron deficiency, hypo and hyperthyroidism, vitamin B12 deficiency, dramatic weight loss, pregnancy, age, diet, improper hair care, or one of the most common factors: stress. But don’t worry! I’m going to share 7 tips and tricks to combat some of the most common hair loss causes.
7 Ways To Thicken Your Hair
- Don’t over wash your hair. It’s best to limit yourself to washing once every 2-3 days. My hairdresser and I always compare how long we were able to make it without washing our hair. She can go for 10 days! My hair is more oily than hers so the longest I’ve gotten away with was 6. But, in all honesty, I prefer washing my hair every 3 days (however, I do use dry shampoo every day to combat the oil!). Many people ask “How can you shower and not wash your hair?” Easy! Just wear a shower cap or put your hair up in a clip and stand a little further from the shower head. When you wash your hair less, the strands continue to strengthen and are less prone to falling out. (And my hair has become LESS oily the less I wash it!)
- Some of my favorite dry shampoos are:
- Batiste Clean & Classic (6.7 oz for $7.99)
- Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak Unscented (7 oz for $5.99)
- Moroccanoil Light Tones (5.4 oz for $26.00)
- Some of my favorite dry shampoos are:
- Take a look at your diet and adjust accordingly. It is recommended that you eat plenty of protein, omega 3, fatty acids, biotin, and vitamin C to provide all the needed nutrients to your hair. Some examples include eggs, salmon, carrots, almonds, and spinach.
- Massage your scalp regularly. This will help increase blood flow and stimulate the hair follicles for growth. I’ll have to start using this as an excuse for my husband to give me a head massage! 😉
- Try to reduce stress. It’s a big ask, I know. But it’s best to take a step back and understand what stressors in your life are impacting your health. Many times if you pinpoint those areas, you can take steps to decrease them, thus reducing your stress and improving health! Consider exercise, talking to close friends & family, seeing a counselor, praying, yoga, meditation, etc. Find something that keeps you calm and
- Invest in thickening styling products. There are many products out there that claim to help thicken your hair. For the past month or so, I’ve been using the Aveda
invatiAdvanced system (Full size for $131 + Travel size for $37 + FREE trial online with code “ INVATIADV” or in-store) and have been starting to notice some great results!
- The shampoo gently exfoliates, cleanses and renews the scalp. It removes build-up that can clog pores, detangles, and helps create the optimal foundation for thicker, fuller hair.
- The conditioner instantly thickens and helps you keep the fullness all day. It helps strengthen hair from roots to ends.
- The scalp revitalizer reduces hair loss, due to breakage from brushing, to help keep the hair you have longer. It helps support your hair’s natural keratin and lifts hair at the root.
- Overall, the system has been shown to reduce hair loss (due to breakage from brushing) by 53%! It features Aveda’s patented bio-fermented blend plus an Ayurvedic herb blend with ginseng and certified organic turmeric. It invigorates the scalp and instantly thickens hair. The scent is also lovely! It’s a mix of organic lavender, rosemary, geranium, and other pure flower and plant essences. Not to mention it has 818 reviews with an average rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars! It definitely works! 🙂
- There is even a version for men found here!
- For even more instant results, you can either curl or wave your hair. By adding texture, your hair immediately receives extra dimension giving the appearance of thick, full hair!
- Switch up your hair part. This seems too good to be true, but sometimes just moving your part to the opposite side does wonders! When I try this it immediately gives me a boost of volume! You can also use a volume powder on the roots to add extra height!
I hope that you find these tips & tricks helpful to create thicker and fuller hair! They may not work for everyone, but they definitely work for me!* Let me know if you’ve tried any of these recommendations or have any other tips that work for you!
Let’s get social! Connect with me…
INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN’ | ETSY SHOP | FACEBOOK | PINTEREST | TWITTER
BONUS! Looking for a fun stocking stuffer or gift? I heard that some of Aveda’s fan favorite and limited-edition gift sets are 20% off – just for the holidays! My picks are the “a gift of rosemary mint,” “
Thank you to Aveda for partnering with me on this post. As always, all opinions are my own!
*Please note I am not a doctor or qualified professional trained to diagnose skin or hair concerns. I’m a highly educated beauty/health lover, but I cannot truly diagnose any concerns. I can only provide you with honest information that I’ve researched and tried for myself. Please consult a doctor if you plan on making any drastic changes to your diet or exercise routine.
Kelly Baum says
I’m right there with you about stress! Whenever I’ve been traveling a lot or feeling the pressure at work, I can literally feel my hair get thinner and more brittle. Meditation for ten minutes in the evening has helped me – and my hair! – so much!